- Beck, A.T & Steer, R.A. (1989). Clinical predictors of eventual suicide: a 5- to 10-year prospective study of suicide attempters. Journal of Affect Disorder. 17: 203-9
- Bernal, M., Haro, J., Bernert, S., Brugha, T., de Graaf, R., Bruffaerts, R., Lépine, J., de Girolamo, G,. Vilagut, G., Gasquet, I. 2006, Risk factors for suicidality in Europe: Results from the ESEMED study. J Affect Disord. 2007 Aug;101(1-3):27-34
- Department of Health. National suicide prevention strategy for England. London: Department of Health, 2002
- Haw C, Bergen H, Casey D, Hawton K. Repetition of deliberate self-harm: a study of the characteristics and subsequent deaths in patients presenting to a general hospital according to extent of repetition. Suicide Life Threat Behav.2007 Aug;37(4):379-96.
- Hawton, K., Zahl, D., Weatherall, R. (2003). Suicide following deliberate self-harm: long-term follow-up of patients who presented to a general hospital. Brithis Journal of Psychiatry.182: 537–42.
- Kapur N, Cooper J, King-Hele S, Webb R, Lawlor M, Rodway C, Appleby L. The repetition of suicidal behavior: a multicenter cohort study. J Clin Psychiatry.
- Levi, F., La Vecchia, C., Lucchini, F., et al. 2003. Trends in mortality from suicide, 1965–99. Acta Psychiatr Scand; 108: 341–49.
- Ministry of Health. 2000 The New Zealand health strategy. Wellington: Ministry of Health
- Nock MK, Borges G, Bromet EJ, et al. (2008a). Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation, plans, and attempts in the WHO World Mental Health Surveys. Br J Psychiatry.192:98–105.
- Nock, MK., Borges, G., Bromet, E.J., Cha, C.B., Kessler, R.C., Lee, S. (2008b) Suicide and Suicidal Behavior. Epidemiology Review. 30: 133–154.
- Owens, D., Horrocks, J., House, A. 2002 Fatal and non-fatal repetition of self-harm: systematic review. British Journal of Psychiatry. 181: 193-9.
- Pelkonen M, Marttunen M. Child and adolescent suicide: epidemiology, risk factors, and approaches to prevention. Paediatr Drugs. 2003;5(4):243-65.
- Posner K, Melvin GA, Stanley B, Oquendo MA, Madelyn G. (2007a). Factors in the assessment of suicidality in youth. CNS Spectrums 2007, 12:156-162.
- Posner, K., Oquendo, M.A., Gould, M., Stanley, B., Davies, M. (2007b). Columbia Classification Algorithm of Suicidal Assessment (C-CASA). Classification of suicidal events in the FDA’s pediatric suicidal risk analysis of antidepressants. American Journal of Psychiatry. 164:1035–1043.
- Reith, D.M., Whyte, I., Carter, G., et al. (2004). Risk factors for suicide and other deaths following hospital-treated self poisoning in Australia. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 38: 520-5
- Reynolds W. (1999). Assessment of suicidal intent in inner-city children and young adolescents: reliability and validity of the Suicide Ideation Question-Jr. School Psychol Rev, 28:17-30.
- Silverman, M.M., Berman, AL., Sanddal, N.D., O’Carroll, P.W., Joiner, T.E. 2007. The American Association of Suicidology Rebuilding the Tower of Babel: A Revised Nomenclature for the Study of Suicide and Suicidal Behaviors Part 2: Suicide-Related Ideations, Communications, and Behaviors. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior 37: 264
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General’s call to action to prevent suicide, 1999 [online]. Available from URL:
- Vitiello B, Silva SG, Rohde P, Kratochvil CJ, Kennard BD, Reinecke MA, Mayes TL, Poster K, May DE, March JS. Suicidal events in the treatment for adolescents with depression study (TADS). Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2009b, 70:741-747.
- World Health Organisation. Suicide rates, country reports and charts [online]. Available from URL:
Go back to last page